Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood :)

     I have realized that I am anticipating the future way too much right now. So, I have taken a step back and reanalyzed what I am doing for the next few months.  I have a lot to look forward to, but I found myself looking too much to what is going to happen, I want to focus on what IS happening right now. 

HERE is what is happening: 

Quiznos is working out quite well. The people there are very friendly, it is like a big happy family, or rather a small one, since not a lot of people work there.  I have decided to look at this job not as a "fast-food" job, but as a new experience and a lot to learn.  Two days ago, I learned how to use a meat slicer. Yesterday, I sliced mozzerella and swiss cheese, turkey, ham and prime rib. I have to admit that I kind of like slicing...is that weird? Over the past few days of working there, I have gotten to know the workers a lot better and I am pretty happy with my choice (and the opportunity) to work there...(specially since my boss is giving me almost 40 hours a week!)

I have started new adventures in making art as well. When it comes to my art, I always have a plan (kind of like my life).  To venture out from such a formated frame of mind and stretch my boundaries, I have come up with a new project.  Funny enough, it has to do with the future, in a way.  My idea is to make 69 brooches, for the 69 days I will be at camp this summer. I will wear one each day, but they all have to be made before.  I am assembling them quick and easy.  What I want is for them to be like sketches are for illustrators. I need something like this to get my mind flowing again.  They will all be cold-connected (riviting, capturing, sewing and even gluing...if it's not soldered before now, then it's not happening now).  They will be all found objects too. I have a lot of stuff cast in resin from my senior thesis show and I want to use them.  A great deal of the resin pieces have the most random objects in them and it will be fun to find a way to wear them without making the usual setting for them.  The goal is loosen me up and really push my boundaries.  Pictures will be up throughout the summer.  Like Jenny said, I really have to not think about them and just make them.  Hey, I already have about thirteen-ish done! :)

Another artsy thing I have been doing is sketching.  If you know me, I am most definitely a 3-D person.  I CAN draw just because I had to learn how to, but I do not really like it, nor is it my strongest suit.  HOWEVER, my father said that it would put me in an uncomfortable position with my art and within that, I might grow. SOOOOOO here I go sketching :)

A few months ago, I put in my resume and a kick-ass cover letter to Portrait Innovations.  I know they are a chain portriat studio, however, it would be a secure career in my area-ish.  Well, anyways, it would be a good opportunity to know how to work a camera and get paid for it. I would be working with people (mostly children, I am sure) and making them literally smile! Does not sound like a bad gig, does it?  It is really good money too. ANYWAYS, the HR Recruiter sent me an e-mail saying they were interested in working with me to find a position here in Grandville, MI.  Which is GREAT, but I am moving out of the state! When scrolling down to the bottom of the e-mail, it looks like their main branch is out of Charlotte, NC!!! I e-mailed her back right away and tried to sound very professional (and very greatful) but I told her that I was moving out of state and if it is not too soon, I would like to see if there were any positions in, or near Raleigh. I told her that I would be willing to commute if needed.  I am sure it will take a while for her to get back to me, but there is that possibility there! I would actually be able to pay all my bills AND be able to afford a decent appartment all by myself! :) ANNNNNNND I would save money for grad school! :) How cool is that! I could also afford to buy tools and equpitment for my art....

Ok, Ok, now I am getting ahead of myself again, time to pull it back to the now. HA! I think I know what I am doing with my life and it is really exciting.  I am really fortunate to have so many opportunities and blessings in my life. I thank the Lord for everything he has given (and is continuing to give) me.  I am young and happy-go-lucky! Anything is possible right now and that is SUCH a great feeling!


xoxoxo
stay tuned...you know I never stay in one spot for long! :)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds similar to my experience of learning to branch out and go new places and take different opportunities.
    Even slicing meat is good, as long as you're aware of learning something new each day. I sometimes forget that, but I know it's important to be aware of what we do with our lives and not simply drift along.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete